Thursday 8 March 2018

Stupid Man Smashes Face In The Concrete - comics by kids


This week's schools took me from Manchester to Birmingham to Monmouth, and ran the gamut of school types, from inner-city school to posh girls school. At Blakesley Hall Primary in Birmingham I've done my thing of trying to represent the demographic of my pupils on the covers, and they've reciprocated by coming up with probably my favourite title of the week. 


At Alma Park in Manchester the kids' choice of title gave me the opportunity to parrot the logo of a Marvel comic from my childhood. I haven't googled to see what the Thing's actual logo looked like, but I bet it's exactly like the one I've done*.



Actually this is probably my joint favourite title of the week. They came up with another corker at Haberdashers Girls School in Monmouth. And what did I say about going from inner city to posh? One of my schools this week had a few of those traits that come from being a bit under-pressure: school gates that are locked when I need to get in, to stop parents from using it as a drop-off zone; a photocopier where you have to bring your own paper (someone thinks that's a saving, rather than just inconvenient and frustrating); a staff room with no tea bags for guests, etc.

Then you get to Haberdashers in Monmouth and you know you're in a posh school when the teachers eat the school dinners - which today had the option of veg lasagne, veg chilli & tacos, fish and chips, and a fourth main dish, and a fully stocked salad bar, and... well you get the picture. Old girls of the school include the Official Harpist to HRH The Prince of Wales, don't cha know.


The celebrities these six groups chose to appear in my demonstration strip were JK Rowling, David Bowie, Selena Gomez, Simon Cowell, Michael Jackson and The Queen.

Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

Comic Art Masterclasses open to the public:
March 17 - Prema Arts, Uley, Gloucs


* Not bad. Pretty close. Preeeeeeeety close.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...