Saturday 10 February 2018

Funky Monkey Donkey Dance - a week of comics by kids (& teachers)


This week's visits to schools with my Comic Art Masterclasses took me for the first time to Angmering. No, me neither. It's near Worthing. So Hev & I stayed over in Arundel, which is very pretty, in order that I could be there bright & early the next day. The Badge Monster is a riff on the fact that the kids were smothered in badges, up to 14 per child, which they seem to be awarded with a pathological fervour. My guess is that someone on the staff is related to a badge manufacturer.


This comic was the fruit of my afternoon session with NQTs (Newly Qualified Teachers) in Birmingham, a gig I do every year, and from which they seem to benefit. All part of me getting comics into schools however I can.




If it's Saturday, it must be Dungannon. And today I worked at the arts centre with the longest name yet - The Hill Of O'Neill And Ranfurly House Arts Centre. Crazy name, excellent building, with a couple of ruined towers standing atop a hill which has been home to a variety of houses and castles and, during the Troubles, a helicopter landing pad. Now there's a state of the art new building, with a very good exhibition telling the history of the town, a viewing tower, and some lovely conference rooms, one of which had my class in. There's also a dome for bigger events, and a visitor centre which I didn't see into. It's all happening in Dungannon.


I've drawn a few flipcharts over the last few weeks, few of them classics, but I don't want them to go unremembered, so here are a couple of fair to middling efforts.




The celebrities these five groups chose for my demonstration strips were Donald Trump (twice), Tom Cruise, Kim Kardashian, and Chris Pratt.

Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...