Tuesday 12 December 2017

Merry Christmas from the Scottish Falsetto Socks


A very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year when it comes, from the Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre. This is the card that has gone out to all the venues who've had us in this year, and to family and friends. And to you, dear reader, whoever you may be.



You recognise, of course, the source material upon which I've based the design? I like to think of it as an homage. But I guess, if you don't immediately recognise the artwork it's inspired by, it amounts to a rather poor copy. That is in the eye of the beholder.  Here is the original...


It's by Haddon Sundblom, the artist who drew Santa for a string of Coca Cola adverts from the 1930s through the 1960s. Read about him here. And so enamoured of this illustration am I, I've just realised I reworked it two years ago for my sister Jude and her family. That's Shona and Kirsty in the shadows. Wow, I really am Mr Originality this Christmas, aren't I?


Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here


The Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre return with a brand new show in 2018. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...