Tuesday 12 December 2017

Merry Christmas From Kev F's Comic Art Masterclasses


Merry Christmas from me and my Comic Art Masterclasses. This is the front of the card that's been sent to the 70-odd lucky schools who were smart enough to have me in to their schools, libraries and literary festivals this year. I'm particularly happy with this year's, and full marks to anyone who can identify what I've based it on. Any guesses?


The answer is a comic from my personal collection, the Lion comic Christmas issue from 1973. It looks like this, and I still have it in the office.


The original cover is by legendary Lion artist Geoff Campion who drew many comics of my childhood. When Mark (Buckingham) and I shared a studio in the 90s, we discovered that Geoff lived in nearby Axbridge and there was talk of meeting up with him. I think Mark may have spoken to him on the phone. Sadly Geoff, who was in his 80s by then, died before we had the chance to meet. Luckily his effortlessly brilliant comics survive him, and if you get a chance to read his Spellbinder strips (not collected into books yet, as far as I know) I would heartily recommend them.

Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...