Thursday 9 November 2017

Happiness is drawing for a living


Once upon a time, before I started doing these comic art masterclasses around the country, and before I was touring with a sock puppet theatre, when I first went freelance over 25 years ago, all I did every day was write and draw comic strips and cartoons. And over the last couple of weeks it's been very much a return to the olden days.

Admittedly I've done three out of the final four Socks Do Shakespeare gigs (in Halifax, Wolverhampton, and Nottingham, with Goole to come) and done a couple of days of classes (in Maesteg and Tottenham, the fruits of which you'll see soon), but for the rest of the time I've been at my desk drawing, with more to come.



Above we can see the rough for an illustration for the Chartered Insurance Institute (for whom I recently did the biggest illustration ever). I took some rather dry subject matter and zhooshed it up into a classical temple. I was particularly proud of the Engaged Membership column, in which the caryatid and the atlantean are mirrored by a human pyramid of insurance agents. So witty, aren't I? Anyone, the client didn't like it because they want something that says "modern", so here's an illustration that'll never get drawn.


Here's another one that won't be seeing the light of day. Every year, for at least the last dozen years, I've been drawing the Christmas card for Fowlers motorbikes in Bristol. They give me a pretty detailed brief, I do a rough sketch and, as often as not, they come back again with a totally different idea which I draw instead. This was one of those years. So, if you're a Fowlers customer or client, you can look forward to receiving the full colour card I've just drawn (it has Santa and some carol singers on). And above you can see the card that no-one will ever get.



And here's one I don't even get paid for. Well, not directly. One of the many schools I've visited this year was Llangynidr Primary in South Wales. And, as occasionally happens, a child was off sick on the day that the rest of their class got the treat of their life and had my Comic Art Masterclass, so they missed out on getting their caricature done. Most often, the teacher finds a photo of the kid and I draw them from that. But this time that didn't happen, so her Dad got in touch and sent me a photo, from which I drew her caricature. Then, because I was doing some colour art, I experimented with a colour doodle. So, as a free bonus, well an even freer bonus than the first drawing, she got a colour version of her caricature. Yes, being sick gets you more than coming into school, that's a good lesson for the kids. (The next day the Dad thanked me and asked if I could also draw his other daughter. I said no. God, I give with one hand and take away with the other. Evil.)


As if there was no end to my benevolence, here's another job that I did for nothing. A kid was a big Beano fan and wanted a birthday card (he may well have been unwell) so I sent him one. These things I can do with ease, when I'm at my desk. But they're an absolute bugger to do when I'm out and about. Over the years I've let countless people down by saying I could draw them something, or send them a piece of art for an auction, and I haven't got round to sending them anything because, by the time I get back to my desk, I've forgotten the email. To those many unhappy punters, can I apologise in retrospect.


And another surprise gig has been drawing the front cover of the Guernsey comic anthology Zone. This is my scribble for the design, the finished thing is a pretty dawn spot-on Jack Kirby pastiche, though I say so myself. You'll see it soon I hope.



All of which artistic business pales into insignificance in the shadow of the next big job on my plate. I've finally, after 6 months wait, got the go ahead to draw Women Of The Bible. So, joining The Book of Esther which I drew nearly a year ago, I will be drawing and colouring The Book Of Ruth, The Story Of Rahab, and my personal favourite Jael Wife Of Heber. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some pencil to drag across some Bristol Board. And all's right with the world.


Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...