Tuesday 12 January 2016

David Bowie week


It seems, at the moment, that everyone will remember where they were on January 11th when they heard that David Bowie had died. It's by far the most commemorated celebrity death I can think of since Princess Di and before that John Lennon. This may, of course, be a phenomenon much more significant to my generation than others. Certainly all the many talking heads on TV and radio and all the DJs playing Bowie music have been about my age.

6 Music played a 6 hour Bowie tribute without repeating a track, then true to form Johnnie Walker's Sounds of the 70s plays the most obvious hits as if it's a local radio show. Everyone else has picked out something inbetween, and there are always treats turning up. I finally managed to put a string of Bowie videos on the TV one night, while Heather was in the backroom holding a fan heater up to the ceiling to dry some plaster (a leak from Ian's flat meant we've had our back room ceiling re-plastered, but it's taking a devil of an age to dry). Here are the videos I string together in my kind of "which Bowie video can you think of next" tribute:

Laurel and Hardy dance to Rebel Rebel by David BowieDavid Bowie - Time Will CrawlDavid Bowie - Loving The AlienDavid Bowie - Let Me Sleep Beside You - sub titulada españolDavid Bowie - The Heart's Filthy LessonDavid Bowie - Love You til Teusday David Bowie Golden Years Soul Train David Bowie - D.J.Flight of the Conchords - "Bowie's In Space" [HQ]David Bowie - Alabama SongDavid Bowie - Absolute BeginnersPeter Noone - Oh You Pretty Things (1971)"The Laughing Gnome" by David Bowie 
Look Back in Anger - David Bowie
David Bowie - Boys Keep Swinging
Be My Wife - David BowieDavid Bowie Modern Love David Bowie- Young Americans


...and there would have been hundreds more, and I'm sure there will be, in the months to come. I'm heartened to see that, in my usual Youtoobling searches, Bowie tracks come up pretty well every night. I cannot think of anyone whose back catalogue contains so much variety and so much stuff that I like, and that is unquestionably great.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...