Sunday 3 May 2015

What I Found In My Bargain Bucket - comics by kids (with added background noise)


Here we see some comics created by Year 9s at Woking High School. Have you ever worked with Year 9s? Then I need tell you no more. Bless their little hearts, there are plenty of diamonds in the rough. But, oo, if you're waiting for laughter and applause, you can wait a long time with a group of year 9s. Good work from all of them.


And here at the opposite end of the age scale we have comics by Year 4s at Chilcote primary in Birmingham. And an homage, apropos of noting, to the front cover of a Spider-Man comic from my childhood. In my mind I've drawn Danny out of the Bash St Kids as the Punisher in the style of Gil Kane. I may be alone in this delusion.

The celebs they chose were Megan Fox, David Beckham, Roald Dahl and David Walliams.


And this is an experience for which pictures alone can't tell the whole story. Play the clip to see and hear one of the less well-planned of this year's classes. A venue (who shall remain nameless) arranged a day of comic art masterclasses for which I'd clearly failed to brief them on my requirements. So it was that I ended up in a hall, trying to be heard by two tables full of kids while, in the background, a reggae band perform a full set at full volume on the main stage. The clip shows just how hopeless the endeavour was, and yet I persevered and, by the end of the two hours, I had a load of satisfied customers, full of praise. I now have no voice.



Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...