Thursday 15 January 2015

Piper Quinn And The Rainbow Burping Unicorn - comics by year 8s & 9s


This week in schools I was working with year 8s in Woking and year 9s at Portland Place School, and the comics they've produced clearly show the kind of ideas teenagers are likely to come up with, as opposed to primary school kids (of which you'll see more overall, in these blog posts). We have unicorns and rainbows galore, we have thinly disguised nicknames, and we have a Vine. How much more year 8/9 do you want?



My Name Is Jeff is a Vine (from 22 Jump St, hence my drawing of Channing Tatum*). A very 13 year olds thing. Freaky was definitely someone's nickname, and I'm pretty sure The Coco was, which is the kind of low-level borderline cyber-bullying at which year 8 and 9 excel (I'm getting pretty good at handling this kind of thing and I think I stay on the right side of the line. Fingers crossed, they all go away happy).

And the celebrities that year 8 and 9 choose for the "treads on a worm" demo? Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Beyonce, Mick Jagger, Simon Cowell (of course) and, for the first time I think, Jesus. Did I mention the kids were all great, and their comic strips were a delight.



Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing Bananaman in The Beano, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the new promo video here.


*Shut up, yes it does.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...