Wednesday 17 December 2014

Killer Clown - final kids' comics of the year


And so 2014's visits to schools with my Comic Art Masterclasses wound to a close today with my final visit of the year,  to North Tawton Primary in Devon. As part of which we make up the final composition of the year, with comics devised by pupils in schools in Welwyn Garden City, Coventry and Devon. A microcosm of the distances I travel to do my classes, and nothing even compared to the journeys I've done in the last fortnight (Ireland, Wales, Edinburgh, London, who else thinks they've done more miles than me this year? Let's compare diaries.)

I was particularly pleased with the cover I drew for Killer Clown, at Our Lady's School in Coventry, hence my showing it that wee bit bigger in the montage above. It's one of those covers where I had morning breaktime in which to get it right and add some detail. Half the comic covers I do get that opportunity, though some staff rooms are easier to work in than others, so the cover will be the result of a good 20 minutes work or more. Comics produced with the afternoon class, where there's no interval, have to be drawn a lot quicker, while the pupils are drawing their characters and before we move onto showing them how to draw a comic strip. So some covers, like Bone Of Death, Martin Melon and Captain Smelly Knickers above, are rattled out in 10 minutes. The kids seem happy.


These pupils were, as always, given the chance to choose a celebrity to tread on a worm for my demonstration strip. They chose Simon Cowell (twice, and he's suggested 8 times out of 10), Ant McPartlin, Melanie Sykes, Ed Sheeran, and Ariana Grande.



Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing Pansy Potter, Bananaman, Biffo The Bear et al in The Beano, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. He's been writing and drawing comics for 25 years, he must know something.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...