Monday 6 October 2014

A new postcard for the Comic Art Masterclass

I've produced a brand new postcard design to publicise my Comic Art Masterclasses. With comic festivals coming up in the Lake District and Leeds, there'll be a couple of opportunities to hand them out, so a new design was on the, if you will, cards.

I've tried out two online print-on-demand companies, printed.com and Vistaprint. Having used both companies templates to upload my designs, I found that, although Vistaprint has the better online proofing, through which I could be sure I'd left enough room for the margins for example, Printed.com has a faster turnaround and a cheaper delivery price (2 quid cheaper to send 100 cards). So, I've ordered through Printed.com, and if they're not that impressive, I can click and go ahead with the Vistaprints and compare the two. For future reference, it'll be interesting to see who wins the quality battle.

The photo on the front of the card comes from a class I did in Marlborough earlier this year, and on the back from the library in Greenock. I've coloured up a sketch of Peter Capaldi and smuggled him into the PsycheDalek sample page from a few years back, and you'll see one of my recent Pansy Potter strips, Bash St Zombies, a snippet of the unpublished Bananaman vs Thor, Captain Clevedon, Hot Rod Cow, and a montage of comics by kids. What you see is very much what you get.

UPDATE Nov 2 2015: Vistaprint just emailed me with a £5 off offer, I thought sounded good. So it looks like 100 reprinted postcards will cost £25.31 instead of £29 (saving £4.17). But when I get to the checkout, the cheapest post option is £3.99 and the VAT is added, bringing the total to £35.16. I am currently cancelling the order and seeing how cheap Printed.com is.

UPDATEDER Nov 2: Printed.com look like they'll only be £13.07 plus Vat and postage, but they haven't kept my art on file so I'm having to upload again, and finding problems with their proofing (as I did before). Upload your portrait artwork and it appears to float in a landscape frame. Awaiting their feedback before I complete the order.





Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing Pansy Potter, Bananaman, Biffo The Bear et al in The Beano, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. He's been writing and drawing comics for 25 years, he must know something. 

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Are you paying more than $5 / pack of cigarettes? I buy my cigarettes at Duty Free Depot and this saves me over 50% from cigs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...