Monday 19 May 2014

Killer Bad Shiva - new comics by kids


Here we have some brand new comics by pupils in my Comic Art Masterclasses, and two hits from the pit. In order to have enough to post up here, I dug out two comics from way back in 2008, to bulk up the four we've produced in the past week. Can you spot which two are the golden oldies?

The new comics are from Brookfields in Reading and Halwill Primary in Devon, the two oldies from Edinburgh and North Somerset. (And in case they don't stick out like sore thumbs, the 2008 comics are 8 Faced Freak and Spotty Pants. Looking at the folder of examples from that era, these are above average, and I'm pleased to see how many times better the current comics are. I've learnt a lot about how to use my time well in the classes and use break times and spare moments to make sure that the front cover looks good. It's the most prominent feature of the item the kids take home, it often ends up displayed on the walls at the schools, and for quite a while now I've been blogging them and putting them on the website, so it's worth the time spent.)

The celebrities they chose for the "treads on a worm" demonstration (see blogs passim) were Simon Cowell (three times) and Daniel Craig (an above average hit rate for Simon Cowell ending up in the demonstration, though he is almost always suggested). The 2008 comics don't record who was suggested, though I was, I'm sure, doing the routine back then.

If you'd like me to come to your school, library or art centre to share some of the wisdom I've gleaned from my 25 years writing and drawing comics, don't hesitate to get in touch.


Kev F's Comic Art Masterclass - make a comic in a couple of hours. Suitable for kids age 7 and older, Taking bookings now
.

As well as writing Bananaman and drawing Pansy Potter in The Beano, Kev F Sutherland has worked for everyone from Marvel to Doctor Who & most points inbetween, and runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. He's been writing and drawing comics for 25 years, he must know something.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...