Wednesday 13 June 2012

Edinburgh Fringe predictions revisited

Here's how the Socks appear on the Edinburgh Comedy Festival website. Sweet...


This year's Edinburgh Fringe programme came out over a week and a half earlier this year than back in 2010, meaning I've already had time to lose a copy (well, left it at my Mum's house where I just stayed). So I can't give it a thumb-through and review as I was about to. I can say, however, that I'm very pleased with it and am now on tenterhooks to see how the daring experiment of not booking a display ad will affect my advance sales. (I note that my fellow Adelaide acts Morgan & West and Ian D Montfort also appear to have decided against display ads, unless I missed them on my first few thumbs-through, sadly I can't check right this moment*). (*Actually I could if I look at the online version, which I may well do.)

Looking back at my blog I see that, in 2010 (the last time the Socks took a show up), I reviewed the programme and, in the process, tried to predict who would be nominated for awards. Just how right was I? My predictions were:

Comedy Award Nominees
Sarah Millican
Alex Horne
Shappi Khorsandi
Jeremy Lion
Jason Byrne

Best newcomer
Gary Delaney
Nat Luurtsema
Andi Osho
Greg Davies

Scottish Act Likely to get a nomination
Susan Calman

And the results?

Comedy Award Winner was Russell Kane (not on my list)
Nominees were Greg Davies (correct), Sarah Millican (correct), Bo Burnham, and Josie Long (who I should have guessed as she was nominated the year before and will, I think, get nominated every year until she wins, as happened with Russell Kane and Al Murray before her)

Best Newcomer was Roisin Conaty (not on my list, nor were any of the nominees:)
Asher Treleaven, Imran Yusuf, The Boy with Tape on His Face, Gareth Richards, and Late Night Gimp Fight. And as for Scottish acts nominated in any category? I don't think there were any were they?

What would I predict for this year? Well Josie Long to win, obviously. As for the rest? When I have a moment, I'll get back on the case. Now, if you'll excuse me, the new show still needs some more work (he says euphemistically, it's currently a big jumble of stuff, with some nifty new songs, looking a bit like Frankenstein's monster, but made of scripts stuck together with sellotape and post-it pads. Getting there.)

The Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre present not one but two new shows at the Edinburgh Fringe 2012: Boo Lingerie - A Socky Horror Show every night at 10.40pm and Chunky Woollen Nits - The Family-Friendly Hour at 11am. Tickets are now on sale, book now!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...