Thursday 5 November 2009

Trials thoughts

Sitcom Trials 3 was a triumph. My biggest concern is that the 6pm audience laughs an awful lot more than the 8.30 one. This has happened every week and was most noticeable in heat 3 where the early show was so good that the second house felt horribly flat in contrast. It was like watching a different show, with scripts that had sparkled and gone from laugh to laugh a couple of hours earlier sounding flat and sometimes naff in the face of the silence that greeted them. 

Obviously my hosting suffered similarly, and I was worried that I'd somehow lost whatever touch I might have inbetween shows. In the 6pm show my throwaway asides about bowties and Bobby Crush were enough to keep the crowd jovial from the start, and the Pitchfests killed. In the 8.30 nothing worked at the start and it took all stops being pulled out including the contrived Amazing Sitcom Facts ( in which I get the punters to sing the jingle) to get a peep out of them. 

But of course an explanation has come to me. The early show is the one to which we give the writers free tickets and which they pack with their friends and families, at a fiver a pop. The late show, though it sells out, does so at a tenner a ticket, and clearly to a bunch who can't be counted on to be so immediately supportive. I must up my game with the second warm up. Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...